- Get out there and say something, fast.
- Acknowledge that there have been screwups. Avoid passive constructions.
- Explain what you're doing to help fix the problem. Be telling the truth when you do it.
- Give up all hope of sneaking anything past your listeners. You've screwed up, the internet is watching, and behind each and every one of those pairs of eyes is a person who knows how to Google.
- Corporate-speak will do you more harm than good. Instead, speak frankly about what's going on. React like a human being. Talk like one, too.
Also, James D. MacDonald said:
While one should not attribute to malice anything that is adequately explained by stupidity, any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice.