I realise this will complicate your routing algorithms that seem to be 'head for the nearest freeway as soon as possible', but cyclists and pedestrians have different needs:
- Prefer roads with cycle paths and pavements (sidewalks)
- Take steepness into consideration as well as distance (this one is specially true for San Francisco
- Allow for short-cuts through alleys and going the wrong way up one-way streets
- Show contour lines or gradient markers
- For extra credit, link in public transport timetables - especially ones that carry bikes
Go on Jeremy, see if Yahoo maps can do this for us.